The Faith Formation Director is responsible for the Faith Formation Processes of the two parishes. The director assists the pastors in developing and administering appropriate faith formation opportunities for children, adults, and families.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
- Candidate must be a fully initiated practicing Catholic
- Candidate must be fully bilingual in Spanish and in English
- Candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in theology, education, or related field (master’s degree in catechetics or pastoral ministries desired)
- Candidate must have successfully completed advanced formation process (Institute for Leadership n Ministry, Master’s Catechist Formation or equivalent)
- Candidate must possess 5 years of relevant professional experience expressing history of successful administrative, supervisory and ministerial endeavors
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coordination and Administration
- In collaboration with Catechetical Coordinators and ministerial teams in both parishes Organizes, schedules and coordinates the faith formation of children through adults.
- In collaboration with the Catechetical Coordinators identifies and facilitates the formation of catechists and members of faith formation teams.
- Resources, schedules, and coordinates sacramental programs and liturgies with pastors, parish teams, and catechists.
- Selects appropriate curriculum materials in collaboration with the Faith Formation Office of the Diocese of San Jose and both pastors.
- Prepares an annual budget in collaboration with the pastors.
- Prepares a yearly calendar for the programs.
- Supports and endorses diocesan and pastoral council policies.
- Provides and presents to the pastor the Catechist and Parent/Guardian Handbook
- Supervises parish catechetical coordinators
- Supervises grade levels or groups in the catechetical program.
- Facilitates appropriate in-service training and formation of catechists and the RCIA Team.
- Provides support, supervision and evaluation of all catechetical staff and formation teams.
- Counsels, advises, and visits with students, parents/guardians, and catechists if problems or concerns arise; informs pastor(s) of concerns and involves pastor(s) when appropriate.
Spirituality and Prayer Leadership
- Prepares liturgical celebrations for students, families, and adults, as appropriate.
- Prepares and coordinates with the parish clergy the sacramental rites for students and adults.
- Facilitates parent meetings and retreats
- Parish Staff Responsibilities
- Collaborates with pastoral staffs to integrate the total faith formation plan for the parishes.
- Meets regularly with pastor(s) and other pastoral staff for planning and integration of faith formation programs with whole parish programs.
- Maintains established office hours in both parishes
- Is present to both parish communities as necessary (this will be coordinated by consensus by both pastors).
JOB SCOPE: Position requires ongoing training with the Director of Faith Formation of the Diocese of San Jose. Position operates from general directions and instructions, but also determines own practices and procedures, performing with moderate supervision.
COMMUNICATION/CLIENT CONTACT: Contacts are normally made inside and outside the Parish/School. Contacts frequently contain confidential/sensitive matters.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
- Demonstrates the ability to carry out administrative and supervisory duties in a timely fashion, utilizing good communication and relationship skills.
- Participates in ongoing formation and educational opportunities to keep current on trends in catechetical ministry.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- BA (MA preferred) in Theology/Religious Education or related educational field or certificate in pastoral ministry or theology from a Catholic institution of higher learning; OR
- Certificate in ministry or theology from a Catholic institution of higher learning or working toward a BA degree and five years relevant experience.
- Candidate ideally has successfully completed advanced formation process (Institute for Leadership n Ministry, Master’s Catechist Formation or equivalent formational process).
- Candidate must possess 5 years of relevant professional experience expressing history of successful administrative, supervisory and ministerial endeavors.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn Parish Soft as needed.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required with cultural sensitivity and commitment to both Hispanic and English speaking communities.
- Must be a fully initiated, practicing Catholic.
- Able to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with both volunteers and staff.
- Strong supervisory, management and organizational skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and reliable.
- Ability to be confidential and handle sensitive information.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Fr. Enzie Lagattuta at firstname.lastname@example.org.