The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
Secretary for Catechetical Formation
The Secretary for Catechetical Formation provides leadership, direction, and resources to parish and Catholic school catechetical leaders and catechists in the Diocese of Cleveland. The Secretary serves families and students collaboratively with clergy, religious, principals, directors of religious education, teachers, campus ministers, community leaders, and benefactors.
Under the direction of the Most Reverend Nelson J. Perez, Bishop of Cleveland, there are 184 parishes, 110 Catholic schools, and 2 mission and pastoral centers in the Diocese. It is the twenty-third largest diocese in the United States. The Diocese encompasses the Ohio counties of Cuyahoga, Summit, Lorain, Lake, Geauga, Medina, Wayne, and Ashland.
Please go to our website, www.dioceseofcleveland.org, for more information about the mission, ministry, and people of our Diocese.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to the values, mission, ministry, and evangelization commission of the Catholic Church. Must be a practicing Catholic in full communion with the Church and with demonstrated knowledge of the Catholic Church, its teachings, and traditions.
- Advanced degree in the field of theology, catechesis, religious education, religious studies, Catholic spirituality or related fields. Achievement of progressive certifications for Catholic instructors.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in Catholic educational ministry and leadership.
- Solid understanding of the Church and its structures and working relationships at the parish, diocesan and national level; ability to articulate and support the Church’sphilosophy of catechesis, Catholic education and religious education.
- Skilled in administrative and organizational effectiveness.
- Knowledge of current and emerging formation strategies and best practices for religious education programs for youth and adult learners.
- Understanding of a variety of learning environments and delivery models and skills inassessing a model’s fitness for achieving Catholic learning outcomes.
- Demonstrated effective inter-personal and relationship management skills. Excellent leadership and supervisory skills. Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Skilled in the use and application of a variety of computer programs including desktop publishing.
- Excellent professional written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Reliable transportation for travel throughout the 8 counties of the Diocese.
- Serves as agent and delegate of the Bishop in all catechetical matters regarding Catholic parishes, schools, and Newman Catholic Campus Ministry.
- Provides the spiritual, organizational, fiscal, and administrative strategic leadership and direction necessary to lead and assist those who carry out various catechetical ministries within the Diocese.
- Ensures that the principles and teachings of the Church and the norms and the directives of the Bishop are promulgated and honored as they relate to Catholic education.
- Formulates guidelines and training for those responsible for catechesis in parish school of religion programs and ongoing adult and family faith formation. Oversees the provision of a variety of catechetical formation, leadership development and certification opportunities to pastors, directors of religious education, principals, catechists, and teachers throughout the Diocese.
- Works collaboratively as a member of Bishop’s Staff and with all related groups to develop and implement the goals and objectives of the Office. Enhances and increases involvement among parishes, districts, and diocesan-level offices and with various national catechetical initiatives to promote evangelization, multicultural awareness, and an appropriate ecumenical spirit.
- Provides consistent staff opportunities for relevant and significant professional development on topics including instruction on Church teachings and directives.
- Possesses a passionate commitment to people who are served and for increasing access and participation for the under-served in the Diocese.
- Serves as media spokesperson representing the Bishop on catechetical matters as needed.
- Demonstrates commitment to continued learning and improvement in areas impacting
catechesis, Catholic education, and organizational management.To Apply
Formal review process of all submitted materials
to identify candidates for interview will begin on April 15, 2019.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references and
completed Diocese of Cleveland Employment Application to email@example.com. In the
subject line, please enter: “Secretary for Catechetical Formation:
Candidate Application Materials.” Position will remain open until filled.