CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF CLEVELAND
OFFICE OF CATECHETICAL FORMATION AND EDUCATION
TITLE: Newman Campus Catholic Minister – Cleveland State UniversitySUPERVISOR: Assistant Director of Newman Campus Catholic Ministry
OFFICE/REGION: Office of Catechetical Formation and EducationSALARY GRADE:
As a missionary disciple and bridge-builder, this is a relational outreach ministry that invites college students and the campus community to enter more deeply into a relationship with Christ. Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Newman Campus Catholic Ministry, foster opportunities for students to encounter Christ, accompany them on their journeys of faith and life, and form them into missionary disciples.
Personal: Is a practicing Catholic in full communion with the church who can articulate Catholic Church teaching regarding catechesis and young adult formation,,
Professional: Demonstrates an understanding and working knowledge of Sacred Scripture, Catholic doctrine and tradition, and the development of the spiritual life.
Exhibits good communication skills with individuals and groups.
Evidences expertise in current catechetical processes and resources for ministry.
Ability and willingness to meet the demands of college campus life and student availability. Musthave an enthusiasm for campus life and students’ schedules. Participation in and oversight of allevening, weekend, and weekday events is required.
Expected time investment for this role:
60-65% of time on campus for one-to-one and group discipleship 15-25% of time dedicated to administration and planning
10% of time dedicated Diocesan events
5-15% of time dedicated to development and community relations
Education/Experience: Possesses a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred, in pastoral theology,religious or pastoral studies, religious education, or an equivalent discipline with a minimum of three years volunteer or professional experience in young adult ministry or related field. Experience in higher education setting preferred.
Licensing/Certification Requirements: Possess a valid State of Ohio driver's license.
- Promote a clear, shared understanding of the mission and values of Diocese of Cleveland Newman Campus Catholic Ministry. Demonstrate prayerful, collegial, competent, mission-driven performance.
- Consult with Assistant Director on a regular basis, provide thorough and complete briefings, project plans, status reports and reports for functions and duties assigned. Respond in a thorough and professional manner to special project requests and other assignments as necessary.
- Ensure student organization status compliance with campus administration.
- Serve as liaison between the Assistant Director, local parish(es) and college campus administration for successful relationships with the college, parish, students, and campus community.
- Identify and support the spiritual, ministerial, formational and educational needs of students and the campus community. Identify resource needs and make recommendations for successful ministry.
- Work with student leaders to develop goals for Newman Campus Catholic Ministry on campus.
- Develop and coordinate gatherings and events for students, such as Eucharistic Liturgy, hospitality, evangelization, marketing, and networking opportunities. Work with students, priests, parish volunteers, campus administration, and diocesan offices to prep, setup and organize liturgies and events, to include developing and scheduling liturgical ministers and music ministers and other volunteers.
- Maintain visibility on campus and be present at appropriate events.
- Recommend long-range strategies for programs in various formats including retreats, guest speakers, student gatherings, social media, and faith-sharing groups.
- Guide students in their personal needs; connections to counseling, Catholic networks, transition to post-graduate parish life, letters of recommendation, etc.
10. Develop process and content for ongoing catechetical formation and continuing education in Catholic doctrine; monitor best practices and developments related to campus ministry.
11. Develop and maintain effective relationships with appropriate Diocesan, local, regional, and national offices related to campus ministry.
10. Develop and recommend communications, recruitment, and social media strategies.
12. Create and maintain database of students, parents, and others supportive of campus ministry. 13. Collaborate with Assistant Director for development initiatives and grant writing.
14. Attend all training and campus ministry events as directed by the Assistant Director.
15. Perform any other duties in the ministry as requested by Assistant Director or Director.
Please submit cover letter, resume, contact information for three (3) professional references, and completed Diocese of Cleveland Employment Application to email@example.com. In the subject line, please enter: “Newman Campus Catholic Minister – Cleveland State University.” Position will remain open until filled.