POSITION TITLE: News Editor
DEPARTMENT: Catholic Voice
REPORTS TO: General Manager
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 4, 2018
POSITION STATUS: Exempt
The News Editor identifies, procures and coordinates the development of news items for all the Catholic Voice’s publications and distribution outlets, including the Catholic Voice,La Voz Católica and the Catholic Voice Online. This person writes news stories and feature articles and takes photographs for publication. This person also evaluates and revises content to ensure fidelity to Church teaching.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Investigates, identifies and cultivates ideas for news and feature stories, including articles for series and special sections. Monitors news feeds from Catholic News Service, Catholic News Agency and other sources for materials that we can republish. Leads editorial meetings to evaluate and approve content.
- Serves as primary editor for all submitted local news stories and syndicated content. Assists with editing columns and other submitted material. Evaluates all content for fidelity to Church teaching.
- Writes news and feature stories from written or recorded notes on a broad range of issues, people and activities of Catholic interest, including coverage of events on evenings and weekends.
- Takes photographs using a digital camera. Understands different indoor and outdoor lighting conditions and knows how to set up the camera to produce pleasing pictures. Provides caption information.
- Assists and provides feedback to graphic designer in laying out pages. Proofs print pages prior to publication.
- Coordinates work of freelance writers and photographers. Makes assignments, establishes suitable deadlines, and provides constructive criticism of submitted work. Evaluates freelancer applications and maintains current freelancer list, including their capabilities and interests.
- Plans and coordinates the distribution of content through digital avenues, including the website and email distribution list.
- Works with editorial staff and the Graphic Designer to develop art/graphic materials for articles.
- Assists with the publication of the Archdiocese of Omaha Directory.
- Develops and maintain contacts within archdiocesan offices, priests, parishes, schools, NCC and other organizations affiliated with the Catholic Church.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrated interest and aptitude for furthering the mission of the Catholic Church by writing, editing, taking photographs and other means of communication.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the teachings and practices of the Catholic faith.
- Fluency in the English language. A sound grasp of spelling, composition, grammar, punctuation and style in writing, editing and proofing articles for publication. Knowledge of AP style. Ability to read Spanish helpful.
- Exceptionally strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to operate still digital camera equipment. Basic understanding of fundamental concepts in photography, including composition, lighting and exposure.
- Understanding of newspaper production process. Understanding of role of advertising and relationship to news.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook. Facility with using computers and learning new programs. Proficient in keyboard skills and knowledge of software used at the Catholic Voice for content development.
- A self-starter with ability to multi-task and lead in a creative environment, developing ideas, working with ideas of others and working with others to generate ideas.
- Ability to relate well with fellow staff members, as well as with Church administration, clergy, religious and laity.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism or related field, or equivalent experience working in communications, media or publishing.
- At least five years’ experience as a writer, reporter and/or editor, including at least three years’ experience as an editor.
- A bachelor’s degree in theology, Catholic studies or related field preferred. An equivalent level of knowledge and expertise gained from informal study, or by working or volunteering in ministry for a Church organization, might also be sufficient.
TIME COMMITMENT: The News Editor will be expected to work normal office hours. In addition, some evening and weekend work is necessary.
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete short on-line application at: