POSITION TITLE: Middle School Science Teacher
St. Justin School
The position of Middle School Science teacher comes with dedicated lab space. There is a supportive staff and parent community always willing to help. The lab is well stocked with equipment and supplies and there are funds to supplement and sustain it. Students are currently following a discipline specific curriculum but will switch to an integrated format with the purchase of new NGSS materials.
The teacher must implement, monitor, and assess classroom instructional program for hands-on Next Generation Science Standards for 6th– 8thgrade students.
Bachelor’s degree, including courses needed to meet credential requirements and student teaching classroom experience.
Experience teaching Science preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: (other duties may be assigned)
- Plan, implement, monitor, and assess a comprehensive, lab/activity based middle school Science program which is consistent with NGSS Standards.
- Develop and communicate curricular and instructional plans and objectives to students and parents; review with the Administration as necessary.
- Provide a diverse learning environment for all learners and manage accommodations for students when needed.
- Assess student progress and regularly communicate s to students and parents through School-wide Information System (Parent Square and Power School).
- Establish and maintain standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Participate in curricular and extra-curricular school programs, assessment and development activities, student supervision, and meetings.
- Maintain a positive and professional image consistent with the mission and values of St. Justin and the Diocese of San Jose.
- Oversee planting and maintenance of our well designed community garden.
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Principles, practices, methods and techniques used in NGSS curriculum development and classroom instruction.
- Classroom procedures which promote appropriate student conduct and motivation for student learning.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Create an instructional program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth.
- Establish professional and effective rapport with students, parents, colleagues and supervising staff members.
- Motivate pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for education.
- Manage students in and out of the classroom with compassion and integrity
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
Other job demands:
- Education and Experience to do the job: practice doing the job, skills, knowledge of standards, and best practices
- Language Skills in written and oral; reading and comprehension level, writing and composition skills; and presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Reasoning Ability in analyzing, interpreting, cataloguing, distilling, problem-solving and decision-making
- Technical Skills including knowledge/experience working with computer hardware and/or software or special tools
- Certificates, Licenses, Registration as indicated above
Physical Demands: sitting, standing, walking, reaching, lifting, repetitive motion, bending, stooping, crouching, climbing, stretching, twisting and a level of vision, hearing and speaking required