THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF CLEVELAND
DIRECTOR OF MISSION AND DISCIPLESHIP
An evangelizing community takes the first step, is involved and supportive, is fruitful and rejoices. (Evangelii Gaudium #24)
The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland was founded on April 23, 1847. Under the leadership of the Most Reverend Nelson Perez, bishop of Cleveland, it is the twenty-third largest diocese in the United States. The diocese encompasses the Ohio counties of Cuyahoga, Summit, Lorain, Lake, Geauga, Medina, Wayne and Ashland. There are more than 677,000 Catholics in the Diocese, and Catholic Charities- Diocese of Cleveland is one of the largest diocesan systems of social services in the world. There are 185 parishes, 110 Catholic schools, 1 pastoral center and 1 mission office within the diocese. The cathedral is the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, located in downtown Cleveland.
Please go to our website, www.dioceseofcleveland.org, for more information about the mission, persons, and ministries of our diocese.
Under the direction of the Secretary for Parish Life, the Director of Mission and Discipleshipwill lead this newly formed office responsible for visioning, planning, creating, and implementing programs and supportive processes which inspire vibrant evangelizing communities in parishes and across the diocese. The Director will support parishes with evangelization-based strategic planning that is intentional about cultivating missionary discipleship. Further, the Director will provide assessment, facilitation, and resources on a parish and diocesan level which helps to ensure that the most impactful efforts are discerned, supported, and sustained. The Director must demonstrate strong knowledge of the Catholic Church mission, tradition, and values, as well as strong leadership skills and experience in facilitating processes that engage members of the faith community inviting them to take and express their baptismal responsibility to build up the Church through prayer, discernment, and actions that respond to the needs of the faith community and those served by it.
- ● A practicing Catholic in full communion with the Church who is committed to the
teachings, values, and traditions of the Catholic Church.
- ● In-depth familiarity with the Roman Catholic Church, its structure, teaching, beliefs and
attitudes, with particular emphasis on the parish environment.
- ● Master’s degree with prior experience in pastoral planning preferred.
- ● Five (5) years demonstrated involvement in active parish ministry.
- ● Seasoned, team and goal-oriented leader, experienced in creating and supporting effective
teams where clergy, lay leaders, and staff enjoy working, contributing and reaching goals
- ● Strong collaborator, experienced in group process dynamics and facilitation.
- ● Experience in leadership development and facilitating training, applying adult learning
styles, and developing learning experiences for proven results.
- ● Excellent written and oral communication and networking skills with the ability to
engage, inspire, and educate in personal meetings and group settings. Successful experience in public speaking and presenting to groups. Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- ● Robust and successful experience in collaboratively working with diverse groups toward achieving goals and fulfilling outcomes.
- ● Strong computer skills; experience and ability to manage data.
- ● Experience in managing budgets and best practices in stewardship.
- ● Forming parish leadership to cultivate a culture of missionary discipleship within our parish communities.
- ● Serves as a resource for parishes, and other diocesan entities as they undertake planning in support of the mission of the Church.
- ● Conducts research, collects and analyzes data, and provides training and tools for mission-oriented planning at multiple levels.
- ● Assists parishes in short term and long term planning directed toward increasing their capacity for evangelization.
- ● Offers workshops for parish pastoral councils and planning committees that helps address ministry strengths and opportunities for growth, and help connect parishes with tools and programs that can support their mission.
- ● Equips parish leaders through formation, training, resourcing, consultation, and collaboration.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references and completed Diocese of Cleveland Employment Application to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please enter: “Director of MissionaryDiscipleship Application Materials” in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. Formal review process of all complete submitted materials to identify candidates for interview will begin on May 15, 2019.