Director of Catechetical Ministry
St. Joseph of Cupertino Parish
The DCM is responsible for the overall direction of the Parish’s catechetical program for early childhood, elementary, junior high and sacramental preparation. The DCM recruits, forms and supervises catechists and collaborates with pastoral and school staffs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (other duties may be assigned)
- Develop a philosophy, guidelines and curriculum for the CM program.
- Evaluate the needs of the Program on a yearly basis.
- Prepare a budget for the program, inventory and order supplies and textbooks.
- Publish a monthly newsletter for the families, a weekly newsletter for catechists in the program.
- Provide support materials for the catechists.
- Coordinate sacramental preparation for First Reconciliation, Confirmation and Eucharist, including parent and family faith formation and plan the celebrations of these sacraments in collaboration with the Presider, the Liturgist and the School Religion Coordinator.
- Coordinate the Liturgy of the Word program for children.
- Implementation of diocesan safe environment program for children, parents and volunteers, setting appointments for fingerprinting of all catechetical volunteers.
- Maintain the Workday database of all volunteers with screening and safe environment training.
- Evaluate Program Staff with the Pastor.
Catechist Recruitment and Formation:
- Recruit catechists, provide formation for and evaluate the catechists.
- Provide regular opportunities for spiritual and professional developments of catechists.
- Communicate regularly with the pastor and pastoral staff and attend staff meetings.
- Maintain a relationship with the Department of Evangelization and participate in catechetical cluster meetings.
- Collaborate with other members of the parish staff on projects that affect the whole parish (i.e. Restored Order, Appreciation Dinner, Feast Day, etc.)
- Encourage active parent participation in the program.
- Encourage adult family members to participate in Adult Faith Formation opportunities.
Personal and Professional Development:
- Participate in opportunities for continuing professional and spiritual development.
- Seek or maintain Master Catechist certification.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in course of study related to catechetics, religious education, theology, pastoral ministry or equivalent, and three to five years’ experience working as a catechetical coordinator.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in composing reports, correspondence and letters and in publishing newsletters and flyers; ability to develop and facilitate workshops, training and presentations; ability to read and understand Church documents, guidelines and professional journals; ability to understand and explain policies and answer questions.
TECHNICAL SKILLS: Proficiency in Microsoft Office and basic knowledge of internet applications and social media platforms.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Must demonstrate a history of effective leadership, good judgment, initiative, confidentiality and discretion. Must be a practicing Roman Catholic.
How to apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to Pastor, Fr. Greg Kimm at email@example.com