Parish Administrative Services Director of Employee Benefits May 23, 2019
Purpose and Scope
To support the Diocese of Phoenix in its mission to Encounter the Living Christ, this position provides full service administrative support of various employee benefits while helping ensure the smooth operation of all aspects of the employee benefit programs of the Diocese of Phoenix.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Actively supports the administration of the employee benefit plans for the Diocese, including and not limited to medical, dental, life, disability and retirement plans.
- Serves as primary contact and administrative support for the different Diocesan locations’ by providing timely and accurate response to employee benefits related inquiries from Parishes, Missions and Schools within the Diocese, as well as other affiliated organizations.
- Performs m , including and not limited to adjusting billing in collaboration with payroll, as necessary.
- Assists with Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance administration.
- Coordinates Health and Welfare benefit eligibility and enrollment for all Diocesan Pastoral Center (“DPC”) employees.
- Assist in preparation and management of annual open enrollments events.
- Coordinates and plans effective and engaging wellness related initiatives.
- Responds to inquiries, requests and issues related to benefit plans and resolves or makes appropriate referrals
- monthly insurance reconciliation
Reviews and carries out all benefit related activities in accordance with the appropriate laws and regulations (HIPAA, ACA, FMLA, etc.) and must demonstrate a basic knowledge of appropriate provisions.
- Coordinates the pension notification process to eligible employees.
- Completes pension data, including employee earnings, hours and termination dates
in an accurate and timely manner.
- Develops and presents relevant benefit information to Diocesan parishes, schools,
during open enrollment meetings.
- Performs word-processing as needed (correspondence, reports, flyers, projects, etc.).
- Assists with all mailings, employee announcements, flyers, training materials, and any
other documentation for distribution to Diocesan Pastoral Center (“DPC”) employees,
parishes, missions, schools and other affiliated organizations regarding benefits.
- Organizes office files, including employee benefit records.
- Maintains the outmost confidentiality of the Human Resources and Benefits related
records and documents at all times.
Additional Job Functions
Performs any other job-related functions and projects that are necessary to ensure the smooth flow of operations and customer-service oriented environment within the Parish Administrative Services Office.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinker, self-starter, results oriented.
- Ability to organize, set schedules, prioritizes tasks, and work both independently and
with other members of the department in a team setting.
- Advanced experience in working with employee benefit plans of the Diocese and
ability to clearly and concisely articulate the plan rules and guidelines to employees
and Diocesan managerial staff.
- Working knowledge of general office procedures, including secretarial techniques,
accurate record keeping, and filing.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications software, including Microsoft
Word, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to demonstrate the high level of professionalism and confidentiality required
when interacting with employees of the Diocese, parishes, schools and entities.
- Bachelor’s degree or Associates Degree and equivalent work experience.
- Extensive experience working with benefits administrative processes in a similar sized entity.
- Vocational training in computer software applications and office procedures.
- Three-years’ experience in an equivalent position with similar job functions.
- Experience in a human resources environment preferred.
- Must have knowledge of Catholic Church teachings and structures.
- Active, practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church.
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones,
photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.