The Archdiocesan Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the overall financial management of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and the good stewardship of fiscal resources in order to support the mission and priorities of the Archdiocese. This key leadership position, reporting to the archbishop, oversees all financial and related functions, including long term fiscal planning, coordination of audits, budgeting, accounting, investments, pension plans, risk management, real estate and facilities (including Archdiocesan cemeteries), parish and school financial consulting services, payroll and contracted benefits. Collaborates with canonical staff to ensure that canon law requirements and processes are in place.
As an ecclesiastical office mandated by the universal law of the Church, the essential canonical qualifications and duties are established in the 1983 Code of Canon Law, canon 494.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of civil law requirements in the area of finance and administration.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of canon law requirements regarding finance.
- Proven leader with good communication and public speaking skills.
- Advanced knowledge of, and experience with, “best practices” in financial planning, budgeting, accounting, investments, and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of financial reporting requirements for not-for-profit organizations.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and to maintain confidentiality.
- Skill in maintaining good work flow while working subject to deadlines and interruptions.
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to perform financial and economic analysis to determine current and long-term cash flow needs.
- Knowledge in property management, information technology, employee benefits, risk management, and insurance.
- Ability to support and lead staff members.
- Exhibit a high level of independent thought and initiative with an ability to provide visionary, creative suggestions.
- Ability to recruit community leaders and individuals in the varied professional fields capable of providing advice using their knowledge and skills to work on various committees.
- Knowledge, ability, and skill to effectively utilize personal computers, Microsoft software, and various financial software packages.
Education, Training and Experience:
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related degree is required. CPA or similar professional designation is preferred. Minimum of seven years senior level experience in financial management is required, preferably with a not-for -profit organization. The selected candidate will be a practicing Catholic, able to partake in the full sacramental life of the Church, with a familiarity with the Church’s structures, functions, institutions, and knowledge of current issues. Experience in management, accounting, budgeting, long range planning, employee benefits, business ethics, business law, and working with consultative bodies is required.
Target hiring date is July, 2018. If interested, submit letter of interest, resume, names of three references and salary requirements to:
Director of Personnel Services
Archdiocese of Milwaukee
3501 S. Lake Drive P.O. Box 070912
Milwaukee, WI 53207-0912