Maryland Province Position Posting
Position Title: Advancement Associate
Classification: Full Time (Monday – Friday), Temporary. Position approved through February 2020.
Location: Towson, Maryland
Reports to: Provincial Assistant for Advancement and Communications for the Maryland and Northeast Provinces of the Society of Jesus (Provincial Assistant)
The Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus, one group within the Society of Jesus in the United States and one part of the worldwide body of Jesuits, has an opening for an Advancement Associate. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three year’s administrative experience, a bachelor’s degree and eagerness to support the mission and philosophy of the Society of Jesus. This role is responsible for the administrative aspects of the Maryland Province’s Advancement Office. The Advancement Associate provides administrative expertise, and supports all fundraising activities, including donor relations, direct-mail appeals, major gifts, planned gifts and special events. This role is responsible for handling confidential information with judgment and discretion. This is a full-time, TEMPORARY position with an expected end date of February 2020.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives and processes donations, Mass and enrollment card requests; prepares receipts, acknowledgment letters and related correspondence to donors.
- Processes credit card contributions; reconciles monthly online donations; coordinates online requests and acknowledges online donations promptly.
- Enters information pertaining to contributions into database; manages and retrieves information from database files.
- Coordinates production and mailing of spring and year-end appeal letters; All Souls, Novena of Grace, Villiger Guild and other Province mailings as determined by the Provincial Assistant.
- Conducts preliminary research and prepares profile reports on estate gifts, prospective and major donors.
- Composes correspondence for Maryland Province Director of Advancement and Provincial Assistant for gifts of $250 or more or special circumstances gifts.
- Composes a monthly spreadsheet for the Provincial for gifts of $1,000 or more. Sends appropriate documentation of donations to donors and/or their representatives.
- Maintains and continually updates Mass and enrollment cards supplies, fulfillment of card request and assign fulfillment of Masses and enrollments.
- Maintains, manages and orders inventory of cards (including Christmas cards) from the Province to the constituents, and other advancement stationary.
- Maintains and continually updates Raiser’s Edge database records; Creates and enters gift batches in Raiser’s Edge.
- Creates queries in Raiser’s Edge for email list, mailing lists, and guest lists.
- Works with the Finance Department to reconcile monthly contributions between Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge. Provides assistance to Finance Department as needed.
- Creates monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Composes correspondence for the Maryland Province Director of Advancement and Provincial Assistant on an on-needed basis.
- Participates in planning sessions for monthly website content and online giving especially enrollments.
- Participates in production and mailing of Spring and year-end appeal letters; All Souls, Novena of Grace, Villiger Guild and other miscellaneous Province mailings. Oversees mailing list management.
- Assists with fund-raising events; maintains guest lists, coordinates with caterers and venue staff; gathers and prepares briefing materials for events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Maryland Province Director of Advancement, Provincial Assistant, Treasurer, and Socius.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position. It is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree
- 3 years of relevant experience Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including phone presence and a “customer service” attitude.
- Microsoft Office 365 experience, SharePoint, and other web tools as they become available.
- Donor management software experience (Raiser’s Edge)
- Ability to generate queries, reports, and exports from Raiser’s Edge as needed.
- Previous administrative or customer service experience in a religious organization.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk up to 8 hours a day.
- Must be able to frequently stoop, bend, reach, and carry approximately 35 pounds.
- Must be sighted, capable of hearing and be able to read and write in English.
- Generally busy office area with times of numerous interruptions.
- Flexible may need to work overtime or on weekends.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you share the vision and values of the mission of the Society of Jesus and would enjoy contributing to our mission, we invite you to submit a resume and cover letter to our Human Resources Department, at UNEhumanresources@jesuits.org and write "Maryland Province Advancement Associate" in the subject line. If you have been referred by a current Northeast or Maryland Province employee, please write the name of the referring employee in the body of your email.
The Maryland Province offers a team-oriented work environment and a competitive compensation and employee benefits package to include: medical, dental and vision coverage, short term disability, long term disability, life insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, retreat leave and 403(b) Retirement Plan. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.